Contracting in Germany

You might also find our other country guides to working abroad as a contractor useful too:

If you would like to discuss contracting abroad or have questions about tax please contact our international contracting partner Generate directly on 0203 488 3061 and reference SJDGEN or email

Working in Germany

There are 3 main considerations for you as contractors (click the below links to read each page):

It is unlikely that contractors will need a Visa to work in Germany but let us deal with this first.

Do you need a Visa to work in Germany?

All persons remaining in Germany for longer than three months must have a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis), of which there are now two types. You can apply for one of them at the local Ausländerbehörde.

The rules for what you need to get a residence permit vary somewhat from place to place and according to your status. You'll certainly need a valid passport, proof that you have a place to live and proof that you can support yourself. Other things you may need to include is proof that you have a critical skill, proof that you are married, proof that you have independent means or a pension, and proof of health insurance (see below).

One person can handle the work on a residence permit for an entire family. Once the permit has been approved an appropriate stamp is placed in the individual's passport.

If you decide that you are going to stay in Germany you must have a registration certificate (Meldeschein). You get it at the Registry Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) that is responsible for your community or your city neighborhood. It's often located at a precinct police station. Registering is a simple matter of going there and filling out a form. They may want to see your passport and lease, so have them with you. There is no charge for this registration.

Every time you change your residence within Germany, whether you move next door or across the country, you must report this to the registry offices at both the old and new place of residence. This isn't an action directed at foreigners. Germans to must keep the police posted when they move.

The two types of residence permits are limited and unlimited. Persons with limited permits must leave the country after a certain period, though they can apply for an extension, obviously with unlimited ones there is no such restriction.

Which of these permits you get, and indeed whether you get a permit at all, depends on the circumstances. Perhaps you come from a member state of the European Union. In this case, your right to reside in Germany is all but unlimited.

With the exception of EU-nationals, citizens of Switzerland and nationals of privileged countries (e.g. USA, Japan, Australia, Canada, South-Korea, Israel and New Zealand), all foreigners require an entry visa for a stay of more than three months, or stays during which they want to take up employment for which a residence permit allowing them to work is necessary.

How to get a residency visa for Germany?

There are a few options:

1. Do it your self
2. Pay an agency to do it
3. Ask your client if they can help you do it, some companies have dedicated departments

Applying for and obtaining a visa does take time thus plan accordingly. Also note that the type of visa you apply for can affect future residency rights. Thoroughly investigate your options prior to applying.

To locate a German Embassy/Consulate in your country, use the Deutsche Auslandsvertretungen search engine function (in German) on the German Federal Foreign Office website.

More information, application forms and fees related to Visas and entry into Germany can also be found on the German Federal Foreign Office website.

If you have any questions about Contracting or would like any further advice please contact our international contracting partner Generate directly on 0203 488 3061 and reference SJDGEN or email

Call Back Request (mobile)

4 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Speak to a
friendly expert
01442 275789

Monday to Thursday (8am to 8pm)

Friday (8am to 7pm)

Saturday (10am to 4pm)

SJD Accountancy

SJD Accountancy are the UK's largest specialist provider of fixed fee, Limited company accountancy services to contractors; we've been acting for contractors across the UK since 1992 and have more than 15,000 clients.

We are the only national specialist firm of contractor accountants with offices nationwide. SJD Accountancy has more qualified staff than any other firm in our market with qualifications from the following major tax and accountancy bodies - ATT, AAT, CTA, ACCA, CA, ACA and FCCA.

  • Unlimited face to face meetings. This is a unique service only SJD Accountancy offers - unlimited face to face meetings across the UK - tax is complicated and sometimes only a meeting will do.
  • UK's largest contractor accountants with more qualified staff. No call centres, no outsourcing, no automated call handling. Simply telephone, email or meet your own dedicated accountant face to face.
  • Our Customer Promise. Respond to any question sent to your accountant or any dedicated department within 24 hours.  If we need more time, we will update you as soon as we can and we promise to keep you informed of the progress we are making in answering your question.
  • Outstanding reputation. We have won more awards for customer service and accountancy excellence than any other firm in our market, including: Best Accountant for Contractors, Accountant of the Year and Best Professional Service Team to name just a few.
  • All inclusive low cost fixed fee accountancy package which includes completion of accounts*, payroll bureau, dividends and corporation tax computations, personal taxation, free bookkeeping software, your own dedicated accountant* and all company returns for a fixed fee starting from £120 plus VAT per month. Check our packages for more detail.

If you have any questions about contracting or would like any further advice please call our new business team on 01442 275789 or email: Our new business team is open Monday to Thursday (8am to 8pm), Friday (8am to 7pm) and Saturday (10am to 4pm)

Appoint SJD Accountancy and never worry about your tax or accountancy affairs again.

Form your own limited company with SJD - our same day online company formation service includes company bank account set up, VAT/PAYE registration and advice on optimum share structure. 

You may also find the following pages, guides and case studies useful:

*If you would like us to complete your company year end accounts we simply ask that you have been a client of SJD for one year or have made 12 monthly payments. All accountants are part or fully qualified.