You may also find our Guide to Becoming and Oil and Gas Engineer helpful.
The price per barrel of Crude Oil is currently around $100 per barrel (February 2011), predictions are that by 2020 it will rise to $350 per barrel! These predictions are based on the fact the Oil and Gas industry cannot keep up with worldwide demand and as a direct result the industry is rich with opportunities for contractors.
Before seeking a contract, it is advisable to update your CV to make it as appealing as possible, visit our writing your CV page and our Top 5 CV tips for more information. A successful CV will clearly emphasise on your experience and what you can offer them. With new environmental pressure on the industry, it is advantageous to show an interest in protecting natural resources and the environment while meeting the worlds demand for oil and gas.
To give your CV something different, you could:
- Extracurricular activities – showing any team work achievements.
- LinkedIn and Facebook groups (but nothing that might deter potential clients).
- Keeping track of current issues in the oil and gas sector.
- Any fitness activities your may participate in – to emphasize your fit and healthy!
- Proof of a Vantage Card to travel offshore.
- Any relevant safety training qualifications.
Another option is contacting companies direct. Some of the biggest companies you can look for contacts in are:
- Chevron Texaco -The world’s largest integrated energy companies. They engage in every aspect of the crude oil and natural gas industry, including exploration and production, manufacturing, marketing and transportation, chemical manufacturing and sales, geothermal energy and power generation. Their workforce is approximately 60,000 employees excluding station employees. In 2009, Chevron produced 2.7million barrels of oil per day.
- Technip – Is a key contributor to the development of technologies and sustainable solutions for the exploitation of the world’s energy resources. Technip operates in three segments of the world oil and gas market: Subsea, Offshore and Onshore In 2010 they had a workforce of 23,000 people in 48 countries, industrial assets on five continents and a fleet of 19 vessels.
- Wormald Tyco – Offer a complete suite of services to the Oil & Gas industry, both on and offshore. Tyco offers a range of services such as: Audio Communications, Breathing air Services, Control Systems, Environmental, Fire Detection and Alarm, Fire Extinguishers and Gas Detection.
- Talisman – Is a global, upstream oil and gas company with the purpose of safe, profitable growth. Talisman primary operates in North America, the North sea and Southeast Asia. The company produced 425,000 boe/d in 2009, approximately 50% oil and liquids and 50% natural gas.
- ConocoPhilips – operates in more than 30 countries worldwide and employs approximately 29,000 employees. The companies four core worldwide activities include: Exploration and Productions, Refining, Marketing and Transportation and Natural Gas Gathering, Processing and Marketing.
LinkedIn is not the most obvious source when searching for a new contract, and it is very rare that you will actually find work using LinkedIn, however it is a good way to build up your network, get some strong points of contact within the Oil and Gas sector and a way to make people aware of when you are looking for a new contract. For more information visit LinkedIn for Contractors.
You may also find the following pages useful:
- Guide to Becoming an Oil and Gas Engineer
- Benefits of Becoming an Oil and Gas Engineer
- Rates of Pay for Oil and Gas Engineers
- Freelance World of the Oil and Gas
- Finding an Oil and Gas Contract with Wood Group, Hydrasun, Subsea7, Shell, Exxon Mobil and BP
- Oil and Gas Engineers
- Oil and Gas Contractors
If you still have questions about contracting then you can contact our New business team on 01442 275789 or email email@example.com.